BARNGARLA LANGUAGE WORKSHOP AT PORT LINCOLN MAY 2012
May 15, 2012
Professor Ghil’ad Zuckermann (University of Adelaide), Dr Paul Monaghan (MLT) and 20+ Barngarla people of Port Lincoln participated in a 2-day Language Reclamation Workhop in Port Lincoln. Highlights included:
• motivational session on the success of the Hebrew language revival in Israel
• discussion of Barngarla spelling system
• group singing a newly composed Barngarla song
• group composing Barngarla Welcome to Country
• discussion of aspirations of individuals and the group including the possibility of establishing scholarships for bright teenagers to study linguistics at Adelaide and the establishment of a Barngarla language and culture centre.